Which Is a Better Breakfast – Cereal or Oatmeal?
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org for free and receive a free copy of Dr. Greger’s Evidence-Based Eating Guide:
In case you missed my previous cereal video, check out The Worst Food for Tooth Decay ( It’s crazy how the same product can have such different effects on the body based on its processing. Beyond just focusing on whole rather than refined grains, the wholiest of all is intact grains. Instant oats are better than powdered oats, rolled oats are better than instant, steel-cut oats better than rolled, and intact oat groats are the best!
Check out this great cooking video of my Morning Grain Bowls ( from the How Not to Die Cookbook (
More on the benefits of whole grains can be found in:
• How to Prevent High Blood Pressure with Diet (
• Can Oatmeal Reverse Heart Disease? (
• How to Change Your Enterotype (
• The Five to One Fiber Rule (
• Resistant Starch & Colon Cancer (
• Getting Starch to Take the Path of Most Resistance (
• How Not to Die from High Blood Pressure (
• Gut Microbiome – Strike It Rich with Whole Grains (
• Best Foods to Reduce Stroke Risk (
• Microbiome: We Are What They Eat (
• Pros and Cons of a Macrobiotic Diet (
• Benefits of a Macrobiotic Diet for Diabetes (
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here:
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language:
To view the subtitles in transcript format, click on the ellipsis button below the video, choose “Open transcript”, and select the language you’d like to view them in.
Image credit: Dustin Kirkpatrick
• How Not to Die:
• NEW BOOK – How Not to Diet: