Sri Lankan Chicken Curry – Authentic And Easy Chicken Curry Recipe – Smita
This Sri Lankan chicken curry is one of the most delightful supper to make. Served with some malbari paratha, it might just be your go to meal.
1 Kg Chicken
2 tbsp Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tbsp Coriander Seed Powder
2 tbsp Sri Lankan Curry Powder
1 tbsp Paprika Powder
1 tsp Salt
For the Curry:
3 tbsp Vegtable OIl
1 inch Cinnamon Stick
5 Green Cardamoms
1 Onion (Chopped)
1 Inch Ginger(Chopped)
3-4 Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
3 Green Chillies (Chopped)
7-8 Curry Leaves
1 Tomato (Chopped)
1. Add the Chicken to a bowl.
2. Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander seed powder, Sri Lankan curry powder, paprika powder and Salt(According to taste).
3. Massage the Chicken generously with all the spices and let it sit in the marination for about 15-20 Minutes.
4. Heat the pan with coconut oil.
5. Once the oil is heated, add cinnamon, cloves and green cardamoms.
6. Once the spices start releasing the aroma, add onion and saute it till the onion turns golden brown.
7. After the onion have browned, add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute it for a few seconds.
8. Add curry leaves and lemon grass which will give a slight sharp and tangy taste to the Sri Lankan Chicken Curry. Saute it for about 30 seconds.
9. Add tomato, saute till the tomatoes look soft and cooked.
10. Add the marinated chicken into the pan and saute it for around 5 Minutes.
11. Add coconut milk and water, mix well with the chicken.
12. Let the curry cook for 20 Minutes.
Serve it in a bowl with some malbari paratha for the perfect meal.
*INGREDIENTS FOR SRI LANKAN CURRY POWDER*
50g Coriander seeds
1 Tbsp Fennel seeds
30g Cumin seeds
1 Tbsp Fenugreek seeds
1 Cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1 tsp Cloves
1 tsp Cardamom seeds
2 Tbsp Curry leaves, dried
Method for Sri Lankan Curry Powder:
1. Dry roast the coriander, cumin, fenugreek and fennel seeds in a frying pan over a low heat, stirring constantly. Do not allow to burn.
2. Cool and place the spices in a grinder with the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and curry leaves. Blend to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container.
Subscribe and Get Regular Updates:
Download the Get Curried App by clicking on this link:-
Host: Smita Deo