Pinto-beef tacos cooking demonstration
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1/2 tsp canola oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 clove(s) garlic, minced
1/2 lb ground beef (90/10 02 80/20) pinch ground black pepper
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 jalapeño, minced
1 cup(s) cooked pinto beans (or canned- drained and rinsed)
2 tbsp water
1/8 low sodium stock cube
1 bunch spinach, chopped
1 tomato(es), chopped
1 red onion(s). sliced
8 corn tortillas
1/4 tsp salt pinch paprika pinch oregano
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan.
2. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent, or about 3-5 minutes.
3. Add beef and stir and cook until nicely browned.
4. Drain all fat or liquid from the saucepan.
5. Add jalapeno (optional), spices, stock cube portion and water. Stir well.
6. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, uncover, and season with salt to taste, using only as much as you need.
8. Heat corn tortillas in the microwave for soft tacos, or in the oven for hard shell tacos.
*9. Spoon pinto beef filling into each tortilla and top with veggies.Notes: This recipe uses the ‘Pinto Beef Filling’ found in this online cookbook.
*To make hard taco shells from corn tortillas, see the recipe for ‘Hard Taco Shells’ in this online cookbook.
Find more healthy recipes at atthetable.mdanderson.org