How to Make Low Calorie Spanish Omelette – A Healthy, Low Calorie Version You Can Still Enjoy
Spanish Omelette or “Tortilla Española” is the king of ‘tapas’ on the Spanish tapas scene. Its rise to fame has been fast and furious. Visitors to Spain nowadays are almost as obliged to sample this ‘top ‘tapa’ e as they are to see a flamenco show or go to the beach. The humble “tortilla” has found international fame at last.
However that wasn’t always the case. Modest households in Spain have been serving this dish as a main course for many years. The tortilla has several advantages which makes it a staple for a busy household. Firstly it is very filling and very tasty, but more importantly for those on a budget, the ingredients are few, easily had, and relatively cheap. In fact it was regarded as the poor man’s lunch.
There is only one problem. The traditional Spanish omelette is not exactly low in calories. Nutritionists say there can be up to 250 or 300 calories in only 100 grams of tortilla. The calories increase due the absorption of oil in the frying process.
This recipe will show how to eliminate the oil from the tortilla and you can enjoy the great taste of Tortilla Española knowing you are not overdoing the calories.
Ingredients: for 2-3 people
- 2 large potatoes
- 1/2 large onion
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Olive oil
Method: There are two processes in making tortilla. a) Preparing and cooking ingredients.b) Turning the tortilla. (You may need some practice at this!)
- Peel the potatoes and quarter them.
- Add potatoes and onion to boiling water for 10/15 minutes, till potatoes just starting to turn soft but not soggy.
- Cut onion into fine slices.
- Add one small drizzle of oil to frying pan and sauté onion till translucent. Remove and keep.
- Drain potatoes well, when ready, through a colander. The less water remaining the better. Cut the potatoes into smaller cubes. Remove and keep.
- Break eggs into a large mixing bowl. Beat the eggs well.
- Add the potato and the onion to the eggs in the mixing bowl.
- Stir the mixture carefully.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan
- When the oil is hot, add the egg mixture and spread evenly around the frying pan.
TURNING THE TORTILLA
- After about 3 minutes in the pan, TURN THE TORTILLA. ie. Remove the pan from heat and place a large plate over the pan. Hold the pan firmly and retain the plate above the pan firmly. OVERTURN THE PAN so the plate is below and the pan is upturned on top. The tortilla should have loosened from the pan and is now on the plate.
- Replace the pan on the heat, and wait till hot.
- Slide the HALF-COOKED tortilla back into the pan in order to set the underside of the tortilla.
- After 2-3 minutes, remove from heat and slide tortilla from pan to plate.
The secret to a great tortilla is that it should be golden brown on the outside yet firm but moist on the inside. Give it a try!
Enjoy your low-calorie, tasty Spanish Omelette.