Healthy Tomato Soup (Low Calorie) by Tarla Dalal
Recipe link :
Tarla Dalal App:
Tarla Dalal Blogspot:
Healthy Tomato Soup
Creamy but not sinful, the Healthy Tomato Soup is a perfect low-cal option for those who love creamy tomato soup. Here, the creamy texture is attained using moong dal and low-fat milk. With just 1 tsp of low-fat butter for six servings, this recipe is perfect for weight watchers. Despite being ‘slim’, it is loaded with nutrients, especially vitamin A from the tomatoes and protein from the dal.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 17 minutes
Makes 6 servings
5 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram), washed and drained
1 tsp low-fat butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup low-fat milk (99.7% fat-free)
salt to taste
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch)
Toasted whole wheat bread croutons, refer handy tip
1. Combine the 4 cups of water, tomatoes and moong dal in a deep kadhai, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the tomatoes are soft, while stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
3. Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth pureé. Do not strain and keep aside.
4. Heat the butter in a deep non-sticks kadhai, add the onions, mix well and saute on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the onions turn light brown in colour.
5. Add the tomato-moong dal mixture, sugar, low-fat milk, salt and pepper and mix well.
6. Bring to boil, while stirring occasionally and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Serve hot with toasted whole wheat bread croutons.
Handy tip: To make toasted whole wheat bread croutons, toast the whole wheat bread and then cut into 1 cm x 1 cm cubes.