Healthy Eating – Which Foods Are Highest In Antioxidants?
If you have been paying attention to health and nutrition, you likely know by now it is vital you take in a good dose of antioxidants every day. You encounter…
- free radicals from your environment,
- from the foods you eat, and even
- from the stress you experience on a day-to-day basis.
All of this adds up and can do a number on your overall health. Fortunately, by eating foods rich in antioxidants, you can help avoid some of this damage. Antioxidants work to neutralize free radicals before they cause significant problems with your health.
So which foods are best? Which foods will help you say goodbye to harm’s way? Let us look at the top picks to consider…
1. Dark Chocolate. That’s right! Chocolate lovers rejoice! Eating dark chocolate can be a delicious treat as far as your health is concerned. Dark chocolate is lower in sugar than regular milk chocolate, and while it does contain some fat, it is coming from a healthier source.
Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants to help…
- combat disease,
- reduce your cholesterol levels, and help
- boost brain health.
So, sink your teeth into a piece. But be sure to limit yourself to one or two squares only: this will help keep your calorie intake in check.
2. Pecans. Another food often overlooked, are pecans. They are an excellent source of antioxidants you might want to consider adding to your list of healthy foods. Rich in healthy fats, pecans are ideal for helping to stabilize blood sugar levels as well.
You will get a little protein and carbs from pecans, plus a reasonable amount of fiber. That makes it an excellent choice for people with Type 2 diabetes who are struggling with their blood sugar.
3. Artichokes. When you choose the vegetables to eat with your meal, chances are good you are opting for varieties like broccoli, carrots, or corn. While these are all nutritious choices, artichokes are better.
Artichokes are one of the foods highest in total antioxidant levels, so are great for combating disease. Artichokes are also loaded with dietary fiber and are a relatively low-calorie food.
4. Cranberries. A delicious fruit well-known for fighting urinary tract infections, cranberries are a must-have in every diet.
Eat them fresh though for best results. Cranberry sauce contains far too much-added sugar, so will not be an ideal option if health is your top concern.
Keep these delicious foods in mind and consider adding them to your diet today. They will all help you take your health up a notch.