Beef Stroganoff – Low Carb & Keto Friendly
I think the key elements to the dish are the browning of the beef and the mushrooms. For the beef, you want to sear all sides of your beef strips in a ripping hot pan, but don’t cook it all the way through. Make sure you aren’t crowding your pan or you will end up stewing the beef which is just gross.
With mushrooms, I find that they develop a much nicer flavour and rich colour if you just leave them alone. Chuck them into your pan or pot, maybe add a teaspoon of butter if you want (although if you have a good pan you wont need to) and then just leave them be! If you stir the mushrooms too much they end up not developing any colour which just leaves you with grey, soggy mushrooms. Trust me on that one.
400g mushrooms – I used button mushrooms but I’m sure any mushrooms would work!
700g beef – basically use any cut of steak
1/2 brown onion
2 cloves garlic (the original recipe doesn’t call for garlic but ya girl loves garlic)
1/4 cup sour cream (I think you could also use ricotta or creme fraiche)
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups beef stock
Parsley for garnish
1. Dice up the beef or slice it into long strips
2. Finely dice the onion and garlic
3. Prepare your mushrooms how you like and then slice them thinly
4. Season the beef with salt and pepper then brown it in a hot pan, being careful not to over crowd the pan or over cook the beef
5. Remove the beef, reduce the heat to a medium and put the mushrooms in with the beef juices
6. Leave them to cook until they reduce, all the liquid cooks off and they start to brown
7. Add in the sour cream and stock slowly, so that you don’t drop the temperature of the pan too much
8. Season to taste, I added lots of black pepper
9. Serve with pasta, rice, cauliflower rice, zoodles, whatever you fancy!
10. I topped mine with some diced fresh parsley