How to Cook & Eat TEMPEH (Vegan Superfood!) | Joanna Soh
SNAP & SHARE your pictures. Tag me @JoannaSohOfficial #JSohRecipes
Watch this video to learn more about tempeh, the benefits and READ below for the recipes and steps.
Joanna is a certified Personal Trainer (ACE), Women’s Fitness Specialist (NASM) and Nutrition Coach, with over 8 years of experience.
Stay connected and follow me:
Tweets by Joanna_Soh
(Subscribe to my website for printable workouts & recipes)
Tempeh is a fermented form of soy that’s high in protein, low in fat and rich in probiotics, hence making it very easy to digest. For every 100g it contains 18g of protein and under 200 Calories! It is also a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids. Hence, making it an excellent choice as a meat replacement, without the saturated fat or cholesterol.
Although it’s firm, it still absorbs the flavours around it, so it’s an easy and versatile ingredient to add to any dish.
SWEET & SOUR TEMPEH
Ingredients (serves 4):
1. 1 (250g) packages Tempeh, cut into cubes – 482Cals
2. ½ medium red bell pepper, cut into chunks – 18.5Cals
3. ½ medium green bell pepper, cut into chunks – 18.5Cals
4. ½ Red Onion, roughly chopped – 23Cals
5. 1 cup Pineapple, cut into chunks – 80Cal
6. 2 Garlic Cloves, minced – 9Cals
7. 1.5 tbsps. Sesame Oil – 180Cals
8. A handful of Fresh Coriander, roughly chopped – 6Cals
9. ¼ tsp. Red Chilli Flakes – 2Cals
Total Calories – 819Cals
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1. ¼ cup Ketchup – 68Cals
2. ¼ cup Rice Vinegar – 8Cals
3. ½ tbsp. Soy Sauce
4. 1.5 tbsps. Raw Honey – 96Cals
5. 1 tbsp. Cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsps. Cold Water – 30Cals
6. ¼ cup water
1. First, prepare the sweet and sour sauce. In a bowl, whisk together ketchup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, water and cornstarch. Set aside.
2. In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in tempeh, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and chilli flakes. Cook until just beginning to brown, 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender.
3. Mix in the pineapple and sweet and sour sauce mixture. Continue to cook very quickly for another 2 to 3 minutes until all ingredients are evenly coated and remove from heat.
4. Sprinkle with a little bit of cilantro and serve.
Total Calories – 1021Cals
Calories per serving – 256Cals
SAUTE VEGETABLE TEMPEH
Ingredients (serves 4)
1. 150g tempeh, cut into cubes – 290Cals
2. 1 red onion, roughly chopped – 46Cals
3. ½ medium red bell pepper, cut into chunks – 18.5Cals
4. ½ medium green bell pepper, cut into chunks – 18.5Cals
5. 2 Garlic Cloves, sliced – 9Cals
6. 1 head Broccoli – 98Cals
7. 1 tbsp. Olive Oil – 69Cals
8. 1.5 tbsps. Soy Sauce – 14Cals
1. Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add garlic, tempeh and soy sauce, stir-fry until the tempeh begins to colour.
2. Then add in onion, broccoli and bell peppers. Stir fry for few minutes or until the vegetables are tender crisp.
3. Serve immediately.
Total Calories – 563Cals
Calories per serving – 141Cals
1. Start by slicing up the tempeh into different shapes and sizes, depending on the recipe. Now let’s prep the marinade sauce, I’m using 2 tbsps. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. olive oil and 2 garlic cloves, minced.
2. Pour the sauce over the tempeh to pack in more flavours. Lay them out on a tray.
3. Bake them all at 180 degrees celcius in a pre-heated oven for about 15 -20 minutes.
4. So you can enjoy, baked tempeh skewers, top your salad up with baked tempeh, make tempeh sandwich or simple enjoy it on it’s on as a snack.
TEMPEH BOLOGNESE SAUCE
Ingredients (serves 4):
1. 150g tempeh, crumbled – 290Cals
2. 1 can Diced Tomatoes – 106Cals
3. 2 tbsps. Olive Oil – 138Cals
4. 1 cup Chopped Onion – 64Cals
5. 2 Garlic Cloves, minced – 9Cals
6. ¼ tsp. Dried Basil – 1Cals
7. 1 tbsp. Fresh Coriander, minced – 2Cals
8. Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic, until they are lightly browned, for about 3 minutes.
2. Then stir in the crumbled tempeh and continue to cook until the tempeh begins to brown. Then mix it the diced tomatoes, basil and flavor with salt and pepper.
3. Allow all the ingredients to cook and simmer for another 5 – 7 minutes until the tempeh absorbs the flavour of the sauce. Don’t forget to stir occasionally.
4. You can either choose to serve it on pasta or rice.
Total calories – 610Cals
Calories per serving – 153Cals